Job Description: Leader of Kindle and Print Book Editorial
Amazon.com is looking for a seasoned executive to lead our Kindle and Print Book Editorial Team responsible for developing the vision for furthering Amazon’s position as a world-class book seller, and leading a team of Editors in the execution of that strategy. The Director of Editorial is a newly created role responsible for the end-to-end Editorial vision for Amazon.com Books, he or she must have deep experience interviewing high profile authors and celebrities, and reviewing and creating compelling book content across all genres of Books, from fine literature to science fiction. The Director of Editorial works with customers, publishers, authors and the press to ensure a best-in-class book experience for Amazon.com and its customers.
The key strategic objectives for this role include:
1) Develop a 5 year vision for Amazon.com’s Editorial voice. The strategy will incorporate existing Amazon metrics on book sales and customer segments, shifting patterns in customer shopping and online behavior, industry and competitive trends and will ultimately become the road map for how we talk with customers, authors, illustrators, publishers and the media.
2) This leader will help innovate toward a better book buying experience. He or she will establish a best-in-class content experience, as measured by increased number of customers who purchase, the conversion rates at which existing customers purchase from us, increased customer engagement with us, and increased exposure in the media.
3) This leader will innovate and develop new models for connecting with customers, helping customers connect with content creators, stimulating customer engagement with Amazon, identifying new and emerging sub-genre’s of books to introduce customers to, and constantly seeking new ways to use metrics and data to increase the likelihood of success.
The Amazon.com Books team interacts with over 100 million customers, 40 million books, across 30,000 publishers at any given time. As book format options continue to evolve, and book publishing becomes increasingly easier for writers, customers look to Amazon to navigate the myriad Books available and help them find the exact book they are looking for. The Director of Editorial plays a critical role in connecting customers with books in as seamless manner as possible. The Director of Editorial is responsible for an Editorial vision that touches millions of customers and billions of revenue per year.
- Bachelor’s degree is required.
- 10+ years of relevant book experience.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Existing relationships with the media, top authors, and publishers.
- Tremendous editorial credibility with readers, content providers, and the media.
The ideal candidate will have demonstrated experience creating high profile book content, and is considered an influencer by readers, writers, and their peers:
- Creative, forward thinking leader with proven ability to innovate.
- Experience using data to drive decisions.
- Has hired and developed teams of at least 5.